Wellness Wednesday: Benefits of Lycopene

Posted 6:20 AM by Mezhal Ulao in Labels:
I just love tomatoes and tomato paste in a majority of the things I cook at home. I use it from my stir fry dishes to the more complicated pastas. I also love drinking it in its juice form - though that may be due to my acquired taste- and more importantly eating it fresh. What I didnt really understand before was that I was eating something that is really healthy and that it was the riches source of a powerful antioxidant known as Lycopene.

Lycopene is supposedly abundant with the red fruits and is claimed to be helpful when it comes the heart. It was only then that I started doing some research into the topic and now would like to share with all of you what I have learned and I am sure that you would just as amazed as I was to discover how a simple household everyday recipe can be a very potent giver of health to those that consume it.

Here are the things that I have found out that Lycopene is helping provide for us:
  • Breast cancer
  • Cardiovascular disease
  • Gingivitis
  • High blood pressure
  • Increasing HDL (good) cholesterol
  • Male infertility (increasing sperm counts)
  • Ovarian cancer
  • Pre-eclampsia (pregnancy-associated high blood pressure)
  • Reducing LDL (bad) cholesterol
Now am sure that after reading that you would like to have a run down list of what type of food has this quality so for your convenience here are some of the major sources of Lycopene to help get you started on a lycopene diet:
  • Tomatoes and tomato products (sauces, ketchup, etc.)
  • Apricots
  • Pink grapefruits
  • Pink guavas
  • Watermelons


Tomato PSA from Thor Melsted on Vimeo.

With all that being said I do hope that you have found this information useful. Till the next time. xoxo
Photobucket
Free Rice


6 comment(s) to... “Wellness Wednesday: Benefits of Lycopene”

6 comments:

Crissy said...

Good that my kids love dishes with tomato sauce like menudo, afritada and mechado. We may not fond of tomato juice but we can it fresh, add a bit of fish sauce and serve with anything fried. Happy Thursday!



your sassy reporter said...

one thing to remember though is you need to at least fry or sautee first the tomatoes to bring out the lycopene.



Jean Chia aka Ms.Yummy~licious said...

hello metz! you've just been tagged on Have You Ever Tag! Come & join the fun, k! :)



Empty Streets said...

Hi Crissy,

Wow I love your food wahhh I got hungry hehehe :)



Empty Streets said...

Hi Sassy Reporter,

You are absolutely right about that hehehe thanks for the tip. :)



Empty Streets said...

Hi Jean,

will be zipping through and will be doing that tag by sunday as a special :) yayyy thanks so much for the first tag for this month of love. Happy Bday too Jean :)



Post a Comment

Your comment is what keeps me going :)

Ratified.org Philippines
Page Ranking ToolSubmit Your Site To The Web's Top 50 Search Engines for Free! Share on Facebook Personal - Top Blogs Philippines LinkX Web Directory
Related Posts with Thumbnails